Graves Disease by Sherrie Shepherd


Two years ago this Fall, I got sick.  I had such a wide spectrum of symptoms, that I couldn’t imagine what could be wrong with me.  I thought, surely, it had to be more than one thing because my symptoms were so random.  It was a long and grueling process, trying to understand my symptoms, going from doctor to doctor, wondering what in the world was wrong with me.  After three months of sliding downhill fast, and getting fed up with the medical profession in general, I finally received a diagnosis. 

Grave’s disease: an autoimmune disease that cause hyperthyroidism.  I was text book.  Weight loss, diarrhea, heart palpitations, hot flashes, sweating, anxiety, tremors, rough itchy skin, hair loss, insomnia…you name it, I had it.  And when I finally realized that my symptoms all matched up to this one illness, I was relieved.  Not because I felt better, but because I finally had an answer.

After speaking with my endocrinologist, and realizing that the only treatments for my condition were severe and permanent: surgery to remove the thyroid, or radioactive iodine ablation to kill the thyroid.  My gut said let’s try everything else first, but my doc had no other options.  There was an experimental medication that inhibits the function of the thyroid.  I took it for 6 weeks, and my doctor was skittish about it the whole time because of the extreme side effects and risks.  They have since recalled that drug and it is had been taken off the market.  Finally, I agreed to do the radioactive iodine.  I hated that idea that it was so permanent, but what choice did I have?  At this point, I had lost 40 pounds, and was withering away to nothing, and despite being on beta-blockers, my resting heart rate was above 120, and getting worse. 

The recovery period after the radiation was a tough one.  As my thyroid slowly died, and my doctor worked on getting me on the right dosage of replacement hormone, my body reacted in silent protest.  I went from one extreme to the other.  And I thought, “What have I done to myself?”

Shortly after that, a new neighbor moved into our neighborhood.  I learned that she was a “witch doctor” of sorts.  She sold essential oils.  After the fiasco of doctors I went through, I had become completely open to the idea of alternative medicine.  She brought me over some frankincense and lemongrass and told me to rub in on my neck over my thyroid.  At first, I though, it’s too late for me.  My thyroid is already dead.  But, I decided what do I have to lose? I started using it.  During that summer, blood tests showed that my thyroid had zero to very little function.  While, still using the frankincense, believing that if nothing else, it was helping with my symptoms of fatigue and depression from having no thyroid function, in August, I also started taking the DoTerra supplements.  Because of the mental fog I was in, I thought the EOMega would help, and the AlphaCRS could help with my autoimmune disease.  That fall, one year after my initial diagnosis, I surprised my doctor when my most recent blood tests results showed an increase in my thyroid function.  The test does not measure the amount of synthetic hormone, only natural hormone. 

The only logical explanation was that between using the supplements, and the oils, my thyroid was slowly regaining function.  Not a lot, but enough to make me feel normal again.  I also added the use of Clary Sage to my regimen, because since thyroid diseases are hormonal, I felt I needed as much help as I could get to balance out those hormones.  My doctor told me in no uncertain terms that because of the hormonal instability and the radiation in my body, I would no longer be able to get pregnant. 

Once again, a miracle happened, when a little over  a year after my radiation treatment, and almost a year of using the frankincense, Clary sage, and supplements, I discovered I was pregnant.   I am now 9 months along, awaiting my sweet baby’s arrival any day, after a very healthy and happy pregnancy.

If it weren’t for the use of essential oils, I would not have the health and blessings I have today.

1 comment:

  1. Wow - I feel your pain, Sherrie. I've been diagonsis to graves disease about nearly 3 years ago. I have the same symptoms, and I know how EVIL & WITCH endo doctors are! They just wanted you to tolerate with medicine, RAI or even remove them. Congrat on pregnacy btw!

    I was in the same situation - and I refused to take any of them, and the anti-thryoid drugs and beta blocker I've been taking them, but they doesn't help but also side effect! I just started lemongrass - hopefully that would be helpful to graves disease, and am looking for treatment on graves disease eye, and heart palpitation as I learned the wild oranges r helpful so i'm gonna see if I can get them soon to see if I can have that help me with heart palpitation.

    I enjoyed your post. Thank you!

    Kilee Ashton

    ReplyDelete